The Identification and Husbandry of Developer Evangelists
@TheSteve0 on Twitter, IRC, Instagram, Ingress, SmugMug, and Github
- Teach you how to identify Developer Evangelists
(or potential Developer Evangelists)
- Understand their role and how to keep them happy
Why I get to talk about this
I am an ecologist - actually Dr. Ecologist
Been an Evangelist for 9 years - ESRI, deCarta, Linkedin, Red Hat
When did we appear and why does the species exist
- Started in about 2003
- Developers are fairly immune to normal marketing
- Nothing actually replaces human to human interaction
What is a key
Can close a deal?
Lives to write code and is technical?
Great attention to detail and loves managing project?
Product or Project Manager
Writes technical & non-technical content?
Comfortable with being 1 mile wide, 1/4 mile deep on a few things, & 1 inch in a lot of things?
Traits I have seen in the great ones
- Ability to talk smack
- Ability to be passionate
- Ability to be funny
- Doesn't take themselves too seriously
- Their word is their currency
- Build their company brand, their product brand, and their own brand
- They need to be a thought leader in some deep area
- They live to make developers successful on their product
Care & Feeding
- Get them outside on a regular basis
- Feel connected to the product
- Mix with engineers
- Exposure to new technology
- Need to teach others
- They need to write
Document to read if you want